Partners of The Policy Shop
Home Insurance FAQs
Purchasing a Policy
- Can I purchase home insurance on your website?
- When I’ve purchased my policy, is cover immediate?
- If I don’t purchase a policy, can I retrieve my saved quotes?
- When will I receive my insurance documents?
- What’s the difference between buildings insurance and contents insurance?
- What is no claims bonus?
- What is an excess?
- What types of excess are there?
- I live in an area that is prone to flooding or subsidence. Can I still get insurance from The Policy Shop?
- Does The Policy Shop provide a discount if I have extra security fitted to my property?
- My home insurance policies are with my mortgage company. Can I switch?
- Can I purchase home insurance on your website? You can get yourself a quote and purchase your policy entirely online. Alternatively, you can purchase over the phone on 0333 321 9487.
- When I’ve purchased my policy, is cover immediate? Yes, provided you have the necessary method of payment (credit or debit card or the facility to pay by Direct Debit) we can issue you with immediate cover if you specify this during the quote process. Please note that if you choose to pay by Direct Debit we may require a deposit from you, payable by credit or debit card.
- If I don’t purchase a policy, can I retrieve my saved quotes? Yes. Make a note of the email address you provided during your quote (we will require this for you to log in) and the PIN number you were given at the end of your quote. Then, click the Retrieve Quote button on our home insurance page, and enter these details to log in. From here you will be able to amend your details, and purchase your policy.If you’ve received a quote over the phone, your advisor will require either your customer reference number, or some address details to retrieve your quote.
- When will I receive my insurance documents? You will usually receive the documents that you request from us by post in 5 working days (this may vary during busy periods such as Christmas or during bank holidays).
- What’s the difference between buildings insurance and contents insurance? Buildings insurance covers the structure of the home together with its fixtures and fittings: it covers the cost of repair or rebuilding after fire or weather damage for instance. Contents insurance covers the contents of your home, the possessions you would take with you if you moved house.
- What is no claims bonus? Premiums are priced on the risk of you as a home owner and no claims bonus reflects your risk (fewer claims may suggest you are less of a risk). No claims bonus is typically earned for each year you have on cover without making a claim. The more no claims bonus you have, the more discount you are entitled to.
- What is an excess? An excess is the contribution you pay in the event of a claim. For example, if your excess is £100, then you will have to pay the initial £100 of any claim. The excess makes up the first part of a claim, so if the claim was for £500, you would pay the first £100 and the insurer the remaining £400. Depending on whether or not the claim was your fault, you may be able to claim the excess back.
- What types of excess are there? There are two types of excess, compulsory and voluntary. Most home insurance policies will have a compulsory excess, which will vary depending on the type of claim you make. You will always have to pay this if you claim on your policy, and the level of excess will vary from insurer to insurer. Many insurers will offer you a discount on your premium for agreeing to a further voluntary excess, because they will have to pay less towards the claim as a result. Generally, the higher voluntary excess you choose, the lower your premium will be. If you choose a voluntary excess, remember you will have to pay this amount in addition to the compulsory excess for your policy.
- I live in an area that is prone to flooding or subsidence. Can I still get insurance from The Policy Shop? We aim to provide competitive quotes for homeowners in all parts of the country. If your home is in an area with a known history of flooding or subsidence, we will require further details from you to assess what cover we are able to offer. If you need any help, please call 0333 321 9487 and speak to one of our friendly advisors.
- Does The Policy Shop provide a discount if I have extra security fitted to my property? Yes. If you have approved security locks and/or a professionally installed and maintained alarm system, we may be able to offer you further reductions in your premiums.
- My home insurance policies are with my mortgage company. Can I switch? Typically, you are free to switch to the company of your choice. Check your mortgage agreement to make sure you don't need to tell your lender before you take out a new policy. You could save yourself money by switching, and The Policy Shop will even give you £25 towards your mortgage company’s fees if they charge you for the switch.
0333 321 9489
9am - 6pm Monday to Friday
9am - 2pm Saturday